Friday 20 August 2010

A different cycling blog

My all time favourite comment that has been shouted at me more than once while I am riding is "get a car". I love it because of its originality and its logic. It is logical that if you are on a bicycle, you are a loser and plainly cannot afford a car. There is a famous quote, often falsely attributed to Margaret Thatcher, that, "A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure." Same thing.

Also, by following the brilliant recommendation and getting a car, you solve the problem that the person has with bicycle riders, eg: "lycra-clad lunatics", "law unto themselves", "disobey all of the road rules", etc, etc, ad nauseum. Getting them into a car is the answer of course. Another car in front of them is exactly what that person wants.

It's also so original. Every time I hear it I nearly fall off my bike as I slap my forehead and ask myself why I was not clever enough to think of that.

As we all know, people who shout that sort of rubbish at other road users are wankers and happily there is a blog devoted entirely to them. It is called A Hundred and One Wankers. It is based in and around London but what is reported could be anywhere. A great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment